Friday, September 9, 2011

Grandmaster Dale Drouillard

I wanted to pass along this link to the "Tang Soo Do World" web site honoring Grandmaster Dale Drouillard who was the first American to be awarded a Black Belt in Tang Soo Do.

LINK:  http://www.tangsoodoworld.com/whos_who_profiles/dale_drouillard.htm

I had the honor of meeting him at the KI Nationals in 2006 and also at 2nd & 3rd International Tang Soo Do Seminars hosted by Grand Master Kang Uk Lee.


My personal best training highlight so far in my career was in 2007 at the 3rd International Tang Soo Do Seminar.  I was invited to attend the masters workshop a small group session for learning Chil Sung 3 which was taught by Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee assisted by Grandmaster Dale Drouillard.  This was a small group session of about 24 people consisting of so many legendary martial artists.  The 1st position in class was filled by Grandmaster David J. Praim, proceeded by Master Floyd Soo, Master Mike March, Master Ed Cutlip, Master Kirk Rehn and many others.

I felt very honored to attend this class session and recognized that I would probably never in my life be in the same spot with so many Amazing Martial Arts Masters at one time. 




After the session I remarked to Grandmaster Praim that I had never imagined training in the same class with him and he laughed.  During this time I was training with the Shelby KI group, which is Grandmaster Praims Black Belt School.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore this man,was incredible in training me. God bless you. Dale Drouillard...

Your friend... Past student.. Sandra Authier.

Unknown said...

I adore this man,was incredible in training me. God bless you. Dale Drouillard...

Your friend... Past student.. Sandra Authier.

mags4him said...

my son was a student of Grand Master Drouillard in the 80's in Gibraltar, Mi. He was an awesome teacher~ My son, Glenn in his 40's now is going to get back into training and get his black belt. His 6yr old daughter and myself just passed our yellow belt! exciting times!

Unknown said...

Great to hear! So glad you posted back with me I'm on Facebook. I'm in a club of tae kwon doe but doing hepkido with my daughter! Not easily I'm on pain pills or I won't be able to move around.. She and I tested a few weeks ago now we got color!lol but I'm a black belt in tang Soo Do ...moo duk kwon. Got that about 18 yes ago. Never went back they wouldn't train me for my 2nd degree so I got angry and left! I was in better shape then not much but better ..then now..but my advise don't quit keep going...because I regret it...g.l keep me posted...catch me on f.b

Unknown said...

Is droulliard alive if so do u know how I can reach him! Or any of the 1980s karate staff of Wyandotte YMCA? Try for your help.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations GM Dale Drouillard on your promotion to 10th Degree Black Belt in MDK Tang Soo Do, Dan Bon #757.

Unknown said...

I was sent this from my brother. We are Drouillards too from Canada. Don't know who you are related too. But if your ancestors are from the Lewis and Clark Expedition then we would be related. What a wonderful recognition and achievement. Congratulations 👏👍🙏 Maybe we could be Facebook friends. Would be great to meet with you in person some day👍🙏

Rob Martin said...

This post is still alive!

I saw an anonymous post up here asking of GM Drouillard is still alive. It's 2023 and he's still alive ... and still teaching! I wasn't "on staff" at the Wyandotte Y, but was a student and student instructor beginning in '89 until '92. Other (higher ranking) belts who taught there at the time: Brian and Tim Cooper, Bill Tadian, Eugene Kwan, Chris Woodard, Jim Lucas. There were others, but names are elusive to my aging brain.

Rob Martin